PRISTINA, KOSOVO — Twelve years on from the start of weeks of Nato bombing raids against Serbia, military planners enforcing the no-fly zone over Colonel Gaddafi’s Libya can learn valuable lessons from the air campaign against Belgrade … the immediate effect, at least in the case of Serbia, was devastating as security forces loyal to the former Serb president Slobodan Milosevic used the Nato raids as cover for the mass expulsions of hundreds of thousands of Kosovo Albanians into neighbouring countries and to commit a number of atrocities. Almost 2,000 people – mostly ethnic Albanians – are still missing after disappearing during the conflict … the generals have failed to prepare for what follows the initial and inevitable military victory … read more at THE INDEPENDENT
- Letter from Kosovo: disarray in the heart of the Balkans - New Statesman 27/11/2014New StatesmanLetter from Kosovo: disarray in the heart of the BalkansNew StatesmanKosovo has been without a government since the inconclusive general election six months ago; yet the remarkable thing is how little difference this has made. The other remarkable thing is that the foreigners who exercise real influence here – the ...
- US troops celebrate Thankgsgiving in Eastern Kosovo - KGNS.tv 28/11/2014KGNS.tvUS troops celebrate Thankgsgiving in Eastern KosovoKGNS.tvOverseas, U.S. peacekeepers in Eastern Kosovo shared a Thanksgiving meal. Soldiers stationed at camp Bond-steel were served turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie in a dining hall decorated for the occasion. The commanding officers served ...and more »
- Kosovo will soon have its army - Journal of Turkish Weekly 27/11/2014InSerbia NewsKosovo will soon have its armyJournal of Turkish Weekly“As a commander of KSF, I can say that KSF is ready to be transformed into the Armed Forces of Kosovo and to commit itself to new tasks for the protection of the country and its citizens. This is a very noble duty and we're entirely committed to it ..."Kosovo will soon have its arm […]
- Kosovo parties 'agree to form government' - Aljazeera.com 20/11/2014Aljazeera.comKosovo parties 'agree to form government'Aljazeera.comKosovo's two biggest parties have agreed "in principle" to form a coalition government, the president of the semi-autonomous territory has said, signalling an end to more than five months of damaging political deadlock and accusations of government ...Kosovo to form c […]
- Serbia-Albania row over Kosovo mars historic Rama visit - BBC News 11/11/2014BBC NewsSerbia-Albania row over Kosovo mars historic Rama visitBBC NewsThe first visit to Serbia for 68 years by an Albanian prime minister has turned into a diplomatic spat about the status of Kosovo, broadcast live on TV. Edi Rama's historic trip to Belgrade was seen as an attempt to put differences aside after a ...PMs of Albania and Serbia clash ove […]
- NATO supports creation of Kosovo Army - InSerbia News 26/11/2014InSerbia NewsNATO supports creation of Kosovo ArmyInSerbia NewsBELGRADE – NATO made clear today that the transformation of the Kosovo Security Force (BSK) to the army of Kosovo is “an internal matter that concerns local institutions” and suggested that “the level of NATO involvement” in support of the KSF could be ...
- Alleged connections between top Kosovo politicians and assassin investigated - The Guardian 09/11/2014The GuardianAlleged connections between top Kosovo politicians and assassin investigatedThe GuardianThe move comes at a time when the EU is to send a legal expert to scrutinise the operations of the EU Rule of Law mission in Kosovo, Eulex, which is in crisis following recent allegations by a British whistleblower that it has been covering up evidence ...Koso […]
- 'Don't screw up': US envoy losing patience with Kosovo political impasse - Reuters 06/11/2014'Don't screw up': US envoy losing patience with Kosovo political impasseReutersThe United States enjoys deep respect in Kosovo for leading a 1999 NATO bombing campaign to end a wave of killing and expulsions of ethnic Albanians by Serbian forces waging a two-year counter-insurgency war in the then Serbian province.US Urges Kosovo To Solve Poli […]
- Official: UN Lifts Judge's Immunity in Kosovo Case - ABC News 14/11/2014ABC NewsOfficial: UN Lifts Judge's Immunity in Kosovo CaseABC NewsThe United Nations has partially lifted an Italian judge's immunity to allow a probe into alleged corruption inside the European Union's police and justice mission in Kosovo, a senior international official in Kosovo told The Associated Press Friday ...and more »
- Kosovo mired in worst political crisis since independence - Yahoo News 04/11/2014Yahoo NewsKosovo mired in worst political crisis since independenceYahoo NewsA quirk in the young nation's constitution has left Kosovo in a seemingly unfixable political deadlock that could yet force fresh elections only five months after the last vote. The constitution decrees that the party with the most seats gets to ...Kosovo mired in worst crisis […]
- Letter from Kosovo: disarray in the heart of the Balkans - New Statesman 27/11/2014
- Bulgaria Security Chief Criticised After Islamists’ Arrest 27/11/2014The minority partner in the Bulgarian coalition government asked for the resignation of the head of the National Security Agency after he failed to answer questions about a possible Islamist threat.
- Bosnia Denies Busting Russian Sanctions on EU 27/11/2014Bosnia sought to assure Russia that it was not being used to transit agricultural products from EU countries and breach sanctions that Moscow imposed on Brussels amid the Ukraine crisis.
- Croatian Tourist Company Sold in Record Deal 27/11/2014Croatian company Istraturist, which has 16 hotels, villas and apartment resorts, has been sold for 120 million euro – the highest-ever amount for a tourism business in the country.
- Euro Parliament Condemns ‘Warmongering’ Seselj 27/11/2014The European parliament adopted a resolution urging the Hague Tribunal to rethink its decision to temporarily release Serbian ultra-nationalist war crimes defendant Vojislav Seselj.
- No Prosecutions After Montenegro Chopper Crash Probe 27/11/2014More than three years after a helicopter crash killed three Montenegrin military pilots, an investigation found that there were no grounds to launch any criminal prosecutions.
- Croatia Probes ‘Salami King’ Over War Profiteering 27/11/2014A well-known producer of salami and other meat products, Georg ‘Djuro’ Gavrilovic, is under investigation for allegedly taking money intended for buying arms for Croatian forces in the 1990s war.
- Romania PM Plans Government Reshuffle 27/11/2014Weakened by his defeat in the presidential elections, Prime Minister Victor Ponta is trying to reshuffle the government in order to secure his position.
- Macedonia Murders Blamed on Veterans’ Traumas 27/11/2014After a recent series of murders and suicides by ex-servicemen, veterans of Macedonia’s 2001 conflict want the state to provide psychiatric help for people traumatised by war.
- Mladic Witness: Muslim Extremists Caused Prijedor Conflict 27/11/2014A defence witness at the war crimes trial of former Bosnian Serb military commander Ratko Mladic said Muslim militants started the fighting in Prijedor in spring 1992.
- Croatia Indicts Soldier for Operation Storm Killings 26/11/2014Former soldier Rajko Krickovic was charged with shooting two Serb civilians and burning another one alive in the village of Kijani after the Croatian Army’s Operation Storm in August 1995.
- New Kosovo Adminstration Expected Next Month 26/11/2014The Kosovo Assembly is to vote on a new government on December 8 after a coalition deal between the two major parties brought an end to almost six months of political stalemate.
- Republika Srpska Leader Prepares to Name PM 26/11/2014The re-elected president of Bosnia's Republika Srpska entity, Milorad Dodik, announced he would name a new prime minister this week after his bloc secured a parliamentary majority.
- Bosnia Opens Batkovic Prisoner Abuse Trial 26/11/2014Former Bosnian Serb soldier Gligor Begovic went on trial for fatal beatings and sexual abuse of prisoners at the Batkovic detention centre in the Bijeljina municipality in 1992.
- ‘Camps of Death’ Film Premieres in Bosnia 26/11/2014The new documentary contains powerful testimony from 67 wartime detention camp prisoners about the torture, murders, physical and psychological abuse that they witnessed.
- Turkey Arrests Seven for Serbia Basketball Killing 26/11/2014Police in Turkey have arrested seven people on suspicion of involvement in the killing of a Serbian basketball fan during a mass fight in Istanbul last week.
- Bulgaria Security Chief Criticised After Islamists’ Arrest 27/11/2014
Internet ExplorerFor Internet Explorer 8+ please activate the compatibility modus of your browser!
Search NEWS > KOSOVO