PRISTINA, KOSOVO — Twelve years on from the start of weeks of Nato bombing raids against Serbia, military planners enforcing the no-fly zone over Colonel Gaddafi’s Libya can learn valuable lessons from the air campaign against Belgrade … the immediate effect, at least in the case of Serbia, was devastating as security forces loyal to the former Serb president Slobodan Milosevic used the Nato raids as cover for the mass expulsions of hundreds of thousands of Kosovo Albanians into neighbouring countries and to commit a number of atrocities. Almost 2,000 people – mostly ethnic Albanians – are still missing after disappearing during the conflict … the generals have failed to prepare for what follows the initial and inevitable military victory … read more at THE INDEPENDENT
Search NEWS > KOSOVO
- Kosovo Gets a Real Game, if It Can Assemble a Team - New York Times 01/03/2014Kosovo Gets a Real Game, if It Can Assemble a TeamNew York TimesThe Kosovo national soccer team will play its first FIFA-sanctioned friendly match Wednesday, against Haiti, in Mitrovica, 24 miles north of the capital, Pristina. For Salihu, who has handled the day-to-day running of Kosovo's soccer federation as its ...and more »
- Sovereignty vs. Self-Rule: Crimea Reignites Battle - New York Times 08/03/2014Al Jazeera AmericaSovereignty vs. Self-Rule: Crimea Reignites BattleNew York TimesThe clash in Crimea is hardly an exact parallel of the Kosovo episode, especially with Russian troops occupying the peninsula as it calls a March 16 referendum to dissolve ties with Ukraine and rejoin Russia. Though the United States intervened ...US Hypocrisy on Crimean Secess […]
- Kosovo footballers draw with Haiti in Mitrovica debut - BBC News 06/03/2014BBC NewsKosovo footballers draw with Haiti in Mitrovica debutBBC NewsSix years after declaring independence, Kosovo's footballers have played their first match at international level, drawing 0-0 with Haiti in a friendly. The match, approved by football's world governing body Fifa, took place in the ethnically divided ...
- Kosovo to build its first national army - euronews 04/03/2014Kosovo to build its first national armyeuronewsIt will be built on the current lightly-armed civic response force, and the Kosovo Security Force that replaced the armed rebels that fought against the Serbs at the end of the 1990s when Kosovo gained a degree of international recognition as ...
- Serbia asks FIFA to ban Kosovo from friendlies - Xinhua 08/03/2014InSerbia NewsSerbia asks FIFA to ban Kosovo from friendliesXinhuaBELGRADE, March 7 (Xinhua) -- Serbian Football Association (FSS) sent Thursday an open letter to FIFA, the world football governing body, asking to re-access its decision to grant Kosovo national team to play friendly football matches, at the ...Kosovo Armed Forces gross violation of UN Resolut […]
- Kosovo's football debut against Haiti will have patriotism but no pomp - The Guardian (blog) 04/03/2014The Guardian (blog)Kosovo's football debut against Haiti will have patriotism but no pompThe Guardian (blog)Although Kosovo is recognised by 23 of the 28 countries in the EU, is a member of the World Bank and has been accepted by other international sports federations including rowing and judo, the road to recognition in football has been more tortuous. […]
- Kosovo draw with Haiti on international bow - Fifa.com 05/03/2014Fifa.comKosovo draw with Haiti on international bowFifa.comHowever, on 13 January, FIFA's emergency committee gave Kosovo's national team the green light to play matches following lobbying by Fadil Vokrri, the chairman of Kosovo's Football Federation, and long negotiations with Serbian football officials ...
- Kosovo national team cause a stir by posing with guns before first ever ... - The Independent 07/03/2014The IndependentKosovo national team cause a stir by posing with guns before first ever ...The Independent... 19-year-old winger yet to make up his mind over who he will play for. He is currently available for Kosovo, Belgium, Albania and Serbia, while if he holds out a few more years he could soon be wearing the Three Lions of England under residency grounds […]
- "Kosovo armed forces unacceptable to Serbia" - B92 07/03/2014"Kosovo armed forces unacceptable to Serbia"B92"Priština's activities towards transforming the so called Kosovo Security Force into a typical military force are unacceptable to Serbia and constitute a violation of the standing UN Security Council Resolution 1244," the government said. These ...
- We need you! Kosovo fans in banner plea to Man Utd's Adnan Januzaj ahead of ... - Express.co.uk 05/03/2014Express.co.ukWe need you! Kosovo fans in banner plea to Man Utd's Adnan Januzaj ahead of ...Express.co.ukKosovo is not currently recognised by the United Nations and therefore is not able to gain FIFA membership, although they have been granted permission to play against full FIFA members who recognise the country's independence. And while the situ […]
- Kosovo Gets a Real Game, if It Can Assemble a Team - New York Times 01/03/2014
- Serb Fighters in Crimea Deserve Jail, Minister Says 07/03/2014Pro-Russian volunteers who have gone to fight in the Crimea should face penalties on their return home, a Serbian government minister said.
- Serbia ‘Tried to Eradicate Croatian Population’ 07/03/2014Serbia wanted to seize a third of Croatian land during the 1990s war and remove all Croats, Zagreb argued in its genocide case against Belgrade at the International Court of Justice.
- Kosovo President Urges Punishment of Wartime Rapists 07/03/2014Kosovo’s President Atifete Jahjaga has established a national council for the survivors of wartime sexual violence in a bid to help rape victims come forward and demand their rights.
- Serbia Asks FIFA to Scrap Kosovo Friendlies 07/03/2014Serbia's Football Association has asked FIFA to scrap a decision to allow Kosovo to play friendly matches on the grounds that a Serbian flag was torched at the match in Mitrovica.
- Rivals Battle For Third Place in Serbia Election 07/03/2014Boris Tadic and Dragan Djilas, the former and current presidents of the Democratic Party, are battling for third place in the upcoming Serbian elections.
- Montenegrins in Kosovo Seek Official Status 07/03/2014Kosovo's small Montenegrin community is seeking constitutional recognition and a share of the allocated seats for minorities in the Kosovo parliament.
- New Search for Bodies Urged at Sarajevo’s Kazani 07/03/2014Bosnia’s Missing Persons Institute wants a new exhumation at the Kazani pit in the hills above Sarajevo because more bodies could be buried where the remains of over 20 war victims have been found.
- Macedonia to Put Child Beggars Into Care 07/03/2014New law gives Macedonian social workers more authority to remove children found begging in the streets and place them in care.
- Bosnia Protesters Reject Officials' Complaints 07/03/2014While citizens are still protesting in the streets of several towns, the authorities in Sarajevo are trying to discredit them, saying they are causing a nuisance to the rest of population.
- Bosnian Serbs Request Leniency Over Prisoner Abuse 07/03/2014Two Bosnian Serb brothers convicted of abusing Bosniak prisoners near Sarajevo in 1992 asked the appeals court for lower sentences because of the “absence of fatal consequences”.
- Progressives Well-Placed to Take Belgrade 07/03/2014The capital looks set for a change at the upcoming local elections after a campaign that was dominated by questions of how to boost the economy.
- EU Court in Kosovo Confirms Limaj Indictment 07/03/2014The court of appeals in Kosovo rejected ex-minister Fatmir Limaj’s request to dismiss the indictment in the so-called MTPT case, in which he is accused of organized crime and corruption.
- Serb Fighters in Crimea Deserve Jail, Minister Says 07/03/2014
Feedburner NEWS KOSOVO
- Indictments on Organ Trading against Citizens from Turkey and Israel
- Inauguration of Kosovo War Crimes Institute
- Kosovo Liberation Day
- Kosovo PM Thaci to be investigated on Marty Report allegations
- Kosovo-Serbia Talks postponed
- Corruption at Kosovo customs and PTK
- Andorra recognized Kosovo
- Explosion in "Ferronikel" Company
We need your help !If you want to write constructive critically on any issue regarding the Republic of Kosovo, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Internet ExplorerFor Internet Explorer 8+ please activate the compatibility modus of your browser!