PRISTINA, KOSOVO — Twelve years on from the start of weeks of Nato bombing raids against Serbia, military planners enforcing the no-fly zone over Colonel Gaddafi’s Libya can learn valuable lessons from the air campaign against Belgrade … the immediate effect, at least in the case of Serbia, was devastating as security forces loyal to the former Serb president Slobodan Milosevic used the Nato raids as cover for the mass expulsions of hundreds of thousands of Kosovo Albanians into neighbouring countries and to commit a number of atrocities. Almost 2,000 people – mostly ethnic Albanians – are still missing after disappearing during the conflict … the generals have failed to prepare for what follows the initial and inevitable military victory … read more at THE INDEPENDENT
- UNSC backs war crimes court for Kosovo - B92 01/09/2014B92UNSC backs war crimes court for KosovoB92Serbian Foreign Minister Ivica Dačić said that Serbia expects a special court to be set up as soon as possible, by the beginning of the next year at the latest, before which indictments will be raised against leaders of the Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA) ...
- A Kosovo Mother's Plea: 'Bring My Boy Back' -- From Syria - RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty 01/09/2014A Kosovo Mother's Plea: 'Bring My Boy Back' -- From SyriaRadioFreeEurope/RadioLibertyPRISTINA -- Pranvera Abazi thought that her husband, Arben, and 8-year-old son, Erion, were going on a weekend trip to Rugova, a popular gorge in Kosovo. But three days after they left the family's house in Pristina on July 7, she received an alarming ...
- KFOR announces more patrols in Kosovo - InSerbia News 01/09/2014InSerbia NewsKFOR announces more patrols in KosovoInSerbia NewsSindjelic, 30, a member of the Serbian Gendarmerie from the Kraljevo detachment, was killed in the armed attack by several ethnic Albanians from Kosovo-Metohija (KiM) which took place on August 28, not far from the Merdare crossing at the ...EUROPE > Kosovo vote key test for EU-backed deal wit […]
- Kosovo: citing recent unrest, UN envoy urges close vigilance to safeguard ... - UN News Centre 29/08/2014UN News CentreKosovo: citing recent unrest, UN envoy urges close vigilance to safeguard ...UN News Centre29 August 2014 – The United Nations envoy for Kosovo today said that while great strides have been made since last year toward normalisation of relations between Belgrade and Pristina, close vigilance remains essential to safeguard achievements and ...
- Discovery: A Clothing Shop Inspired by Hillary Clinton in Kosovo (of All Places) - Yahoo Travel 27/08/2014Yahoo TravelDiscovery: A Clothing Shop Inspired by Hillary Clinton in Kosovo (of All Places)Yahoo TravelDrive down Bill Clinton Boulevard in Pristina, Kosovo's capital, and you would be hard-pressed to miss the gleaming, 10-foot-tall statue of the former president of the United States waving. It's an impressive monument to honor Clinton for his hel […]
- Kosovo office head urges "dialogue instead of arrests" - B92 01/09/2014Kosovo office head urges "dialogue instead of arrests"B92The director of the Serbian Government's Office for Kosovo and Metohija at the same time called for dialogue as a way resolve problems. "Those warrants have caused great distress among the Serbs in northern Kosovo, so it is necessary to sit down and ...
- Pakistan, Kosovo heads of state hold first-ever meeting - Daily Times 29/08/2014Business RecorderPakistan, Kosovo heads of state hold first-ever meetingDaily TimesPakistan formally recognised the Republic of Kosovo in December 2012 which was followed by a visit of Pakistan's special envoy in January 2013 and a visit by Kosovo's foreign affairs minister in March 2014. The two leaders discussed bilateral relations ...Pakistan-Ko […]
- Kosovo Albanian jihadists arrested in Tirana - InSerbia News 01/09/2014InSerbia NewsKosovo Albanian jihadists arrested in TiranaInSerbia News... which caused suspicion that made controllers at the airport in Tirana act. Lajm reports that confusing statements by Zejnulahu further increased the suspicion that eventually led to his arrest. The Kosovo authorities issued an international arrest ...Kosovo Albanian "associated wi […]
- War crimes in Kosovo - The Economist 07/08/2014B92War crimes in KosovoThe EconomistTHIS is Kosovo's holiday-and-wedding season, but some in the small Balkan state don't feel much like celebrating this year. On July 29th Clint Williamson, an American prosecutor leading a special European Union task-force investigating war crimes, came ...UNSC to hold session on Kosovo on Aug 25B92Bill Clinton […]
- Kosovo media “invents Serbian killer” to cover conflict of two Albanian families - InSerbia News 01/09/2014InSerbia NewsKosovo media “invents Serbian killer” to cover conflict of two Albanian familiesInSerbia NewsAlbanian Ardijan Ibrahimi (19) was killed, and his brothers Aljbion (16) and Albert (15) were wounded in a shooting yesterday in Kolovrt, a town located between Zubin Potok and Juzna Mitrovica. As sources told Serbian daily “Blic”, two families clashed . […]
- UNSC backs war crimes court for Kosovo - B92 01/09/2014
- Goran Hadzic Denies Controlling Paramilitary Arkan 01/09/2014Former Croatian Serb leader Goran Hadzic resumed his war crimes defence at the Hague Tribunal, distancing himself from Serb paramilitaries fighting in Croatia and from Slobodan Milosevic.
- Serbian Province Launches Sex Education Classes 01/09/2014High school students in the Serbian province of Vojvodina now have the option to take sexual education courses after surveys showed that many pupils knew little about reproductive health.
- Hundreds of Bosnian Pupils Fail to Start School 01/09/2014Unresolved rows over school curriculums and unrepaired damage to buildings after major floods in May meant that hundreds of pupils missed the first day of the new school year.
- Foul Play Alleged in Macedonia PM Slander Case 01/09/2014The defence criticised the court for rejecting as evidence an audio recording during which, the opposition claims, the Macedonian PM discussed the illegal sale of a bank.
- Arrest Warrants Issued for Kosovo Serb Politicians 01/09/2014The EU rule-of-law mission wants to arrest a Serb mayor and former mayor – a move that could further heighten tensions in the north of Kosovo.
- Bosnia Arrests 13 War Crimes Suspects 01/09/2014The Bosnian State Investigation and Protection Agency arrested 13 people on suspicion of taking part in crimes against humanity, including over 40 murders, in Doboj and Teslic in 1992.
- New Bulgaria Bank Crisis Threatens Confidence 01/09/2014Failure to resolve the fate of the country’s fourth-largest lender could undermine recently strengthened investor trust and turn Bulgaria into ‘Europe’s Argentina’, experts warn.
- Macedonia Hopes to Lure Hollywood Filmmakers 01/09/2014Macedonia hopes to reap a long-term benefit from a team of Hollywood filmmakers who have agreed to come and search for possible movie locations in the country while shooting some promotional videos.
- Romania Nominates Woman for EU Commissioner 01/09/2014Romanian Prime Minister Victor Ponta said he has nominated a woman for an EU commissioner post’s as well as the current EU agriculture commissioner, Dacian Ciolos.
- Croatia Threatens Serbia’s EU Path Over Wartime Missing 01/09/2014Zagreb said it could obstruct Serbia and other Balkan countries’ paths to EU membership if they do not provide more information about Croats who went missing during the 1991-95 war.
- Book Fans Head For Zagreb Literary Festival 01/09/2014Writers and lovers of the printed word will be celebrating the latest literary achievements at the Festival of World Literature in Zagreb, Croatia.
- Sky-High Roaming Charges to Go in Balkans 01/09/2014Regulatory agencies in the Balkans have finally agreed to phase out mobile phone roaming charges, which are much higher than those in Western Europe.
- Siege of Sarajevo ‘Was War, Not Chess’ 01/09/2014A former Bosnian Serb officer told the trial of his military commander Ratko Mladic that his unit didn’t deploy snipers against Sarajevo residents but did use heavy artillery to defend Serbs.
- Man Shot Dead in Woods in Northern Kosovo 29/08/2014A Kosovo Albanian has been killed and two others were wounded in the forests in Kosovo, allegedly by a person in a Serbian army uniform.
- Ex-Yugoslav Presidents Sign Missing Persons Declaration 29/08/2014The presidents of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Montenegro and Serbia signed a landmark declaration aimed at speeding up the search for people still missing from the 1990s conflicts.
- Goran Hadzic Denies Controlling Paramilitary Arkan 01/09/2014
Internet ExplorerFor Internet Explorer 8+ please activate the compatibility modus of your browser!
Search NEWS > KOSOVO