PRISTINA, KOSOVO — The OSCE says courts in Kosovo are failing to appropriately judge cases involving divorce and foster children … this failure violates the legal framework in Kosovo ++ On March 24th, Kosovo will mark the twelfth anniversary of the 1999 NATO air strikes against the regime of Slobodan Milosevic. This year, however, the occasion has new significance … ++ There can’t be talks between Pristina and Belgrade without first agreeing on the history of their conflict … Belgrade and Pristina should agree that Ibrahim Rugova and Zoran Djindjic are to be recognized both as heroes against Serb fascism …
- Watch Films, Not War: Kosovo's Dokufest 2014 - PopMatters 15/09/2014PopMattersWatch Films, Not War: Kosovo's Dokufest 2014PopMattersI tried, first, to understand Kosovo by reading Claudio Magris' Danube and Rebecca West's Black Lamb and Grey Falcon beforehand, and watching the BBC's Death of Yugoslavia, PBS Frontline's War in Europe, and finally, reading The Observer's special ...
- Danger of radicalization of Islamic youth in Kosovo and BiH - InSerbia News 16/09/2014Albeu.comDanger of radicalization of Islamic youth in Kosovo and BiHInSerbia NewsAlthough Austrian contingent in KFOR claims that it does not see any radicalization in Kosovo, APA agency recalls that recently 40 jihadists were arrested, and that it is estimated that about 200 Albanians from Kosovo are currently in the ranks of the ...Kosovo Serbs reject oppo […]
- Shepherding in the new Kosovo - BBC News 04/09/2014Shepherding in the new KosovoBBC NewsThe houses were all empty. As our car rattled around increasingly vertiginous turns through southern Kosovo's Šar Mountains, our driver pointed out nearby villages, each a haphazard cluster of homes dotting the golden-brown heath. None, he said, had ...
- Kosovo makes arrests in new push to stem flow of fighters to Syria, Iraq - Jerusalem Post 17/09/2014Kosovo makes arrests in new push to stem flow of fighters to Syria, IraqJerusalem PostPolice in Kosovo arrested 15 people on Wednesday, including a number of imams, in the second major operation in weeks to stem the flow of young ethnic Albanians joining Islamist fighters in Iraq and Syria, a police source said. Local media reported ...and more »
- Kosovo: citing recent unrest, UN envoy urges close vigilance to safeguard ... - UN News Centre 29/08/2014UN News CentreKosovo: citing recent unrest, UN envoy urges close vigilance to safeguard ...UN News Centre29 August 2014 – The United Nations envoy for Kosovo today said that while great strides have been made since last year toward normalisation of relations between Belgrade and Pristina, close vigilance remains essential to safeguard achievements and ...Ser […]
- Wiki Loves Monuments coming to Kosovo and Albania - Digjitale 16/09/2014Wiki Loves Monuments coming to Kosovo and AlbaniaDigjitaleWiki Loves Monuments is an international photo contest for monuments organized by Wikimedia globally, and it will come to Kosovo and Albania as well organized by FLOSSK and Open Labs. Cultural heritage is an important part of the knowledge that ...
- "Recognition of Kosovo not subject of talks" - B92 05/09/2014InSerbia News"Recognition of Kosovo not subject of talks"B92Noting that Kosovo Foreign Minister Enver Hoxhaj both in Berlin and during a recent meeting of the UN Security Council in New York spoke about "signing of a peace agreement, recognition of Kosovo's independence and its membership in various ...China not changing its position on K […]
- The Shortsightedness of NATO's War with Serbia Over Kosovo Haunts Ukraine - The National Interest Online (blog) 02/09/2014The National Interest Online (blog)The Shortsightedness of NATO's War with Serbia Over Kosovo Haunts UkraineThe National Interest Online (blog)Today it seems the past is just history. US president Barack Obama and secretary of state, John Kerry, have lamented the return to "19th century politics," with its outdated "spheres of influence […]
- The Hidden Growth of Islamic Extremism in Kosovo - New Eastern Europe 22/08/2014The EconomistThe Hidden Growth of Islamic Extremism in KosovoNew Eastern EuropeKosova independence Vienna 17-02-2008 b The recent arrest of 40 alleged Islamic radicals in Kosovo together with the arrest of one of the Kosovo Imams suspected of being an inspirer of jihad in the region brought serious questions about the ...Islamic radical networks in Kosovo, W […]
- Pushing the Boundaries of Digital Diplomacy in Kosovo - Wired 18/08/2014WiredPushing the Boundaries of Digital Diplomacy in KosovoWiredThe camps served a dual purpose for Kosovo's government, bolstering favorable content and seeding a crop of web-savvy young programmers. Camp graduates have gone on to develop apps centered around street fashion, tourism guides, and language ...and more »
- Watch Films, Not War: Kosovo's Dokufest 2014 - PopMatters 15/09/2014
- Romania Faces New IMF Test in Brussels 17/09/2014The review of the precautionary agreement between Romania and the IMF and the EU is to start in Brussels to avoid any pressure from Romania's presidential elections.
- Macedonia Warms to High-Speed Rail Plan 17/09/2014Macedonia is mulling whether to sign up to a Chinese plan to build a high-speed pan-Balkan railway line, which Serbia revealed last week.
- Bosniak Soldiers Indicted for Mostar Prisoner Abuses 17/09/2014The Bosnian state prosecution raised an indictment against five former Bosnian Army soldiers for abusing over 100 Croat civilians who were unlawfully detained in the Mostar municipality in 1993.
- Montenegro Albanians Protest Over Textbooks 17/09/2014Ethnic Albanian parties in Montenegro say their children need textbooks adapted to the needs of the community, not translations of the mainstream Montenegrin curriculum.
- BIRN Missing Persons Documentary Debated in Sarajevo 17/09/2014Bosnian society isn’t paying enough attention to the issue of the 8,000 people still missing since the 1990s war, a debate after the screening of the BIRN documentary film was told.
- Mladic Ally: ‘We Didn’t Shell Sarajevo Civilians’ 17/09/2014A former Bosnian Serb Army officer told the war crimes trial of his commander Ratko Mladic that his brigade had no heavy weapons to attack Sarajevo and didn’t use its sniper bullets for sniping.
- Ex-Monk Rallies Belgrade Against Gay Pride 16/09/2014Anti-gay activists are urging people to join 'peaceful' protests against the Belgrade Gay Pride Parade, scheduled for late September.
- ‘Everyday Abuse, Constant Rapes’ at Bosnia’s Dretelj Camp 16/09/2014Edib Buljubasic, the former deputy commander at the Dretelj wartime jail camp near Capljina, admitted that Serb detainees were abused every day and that female prisoners were often raped.
- Floods Start Receding in Central Croatia 16/09/2014Although the situation is getting back to normal, overflowing rivers caused by persistent heavy rain are still flooding parts of Croatia.
- BIRN Film Premieres in Kosovo’s Divided Mitrovica 16/09/2014The screening of BIRN’s road-movie documentary The Majority Starts Here in Mitrovica was followed by a debate examining how transitional justice can address the grievances of the wartime past.
- ‘No Crime Against Humanity’ in Bosnia’s Visegrad 16/09/2014The lawyer for Ljubomir Tasic, accused of killings and other wartime crimes in the Visegrad area in 1992, said the prosecution didn’t prove there was a widespread and systematic attack on Bosniaks.
- Serbian Ex-Policeman Skips Trial to Join Ukraine Rebels 16/09/2014Despite being on trial for threatening Serbian peace campaigners with violence, Belgrade’s former anti-terrorist police spokesman has gone to fight alongside pro-Russian forces in Ukraine.
- Albanian Capital’s Mayor Splashes in Ad Spending 16/09/2014Data collected by BIRN from the database of the Ministry of Finance suggest that Tirana spent more on placing adverts in the local press than any other municipality in 2014.
- Bosnia Mosques Close Doors to Election Campaigners 16/09/2014A call by Bosnia’s Islamic Community for politicians to stay away from mosques indicates that faith communities do not want to be manipulated for political purposes, analysts suggest.
- Spike in Syrian Refugees Crossing Macedonia 16/09/2014Police say they found 500 illegal migrants in the last two weeks alone, trying to cross Macedonia on their way to Western Europe.
- Romania Faces New IMF Test in Brussels 17/09/2014
Internet ExplorerFor Internet Explorer 8+ please activate the compatibility modus of your browser!
Search NEWS > KOSOVO