PRISTINA, KOSOVO — Twelve years on from the start of weeks of Nato bombing raids against Serbia, military planners enforcing the no-fly zone over Colonel Gaddafi’s Libya can learn valuable lessons from the air campaign against Belgrade … the immediate effect, at least in the case of Serbia, was devastating as security forces loyal to the former Serb president Slobodan Milosevic used the Nato raids as cover for the mass expulsions of hundreds of thousands of Kosovo Albanians into neighbouring countries and to commit a number of atrocities. Almost 2,000 people – mostly ethnic Albanians – are still missing after disappearing during the conflict … the generals have failed to prepare for what follows the initial and inevitable military victory … read more at THE INDEPENDENT
- In Kosovo, false promises lead many to seek a better life in Germany - Deutsche Welle 05/03/2015Deutsche WelleIn Kosovo, false promises lead many to seek a better life in GermanyDeutsche WelleMore than 18,000 people from Kosovo have arrived in Germany since the start of the year in search of a better life. DW's Bahri Cani met one family at a home for asylum seekers in the town of Hemer.and more »
- Kosovo next stop on Dial's journey - San Antonio Express-News 04/03/2015San Antonio Express-NewsKosovo next stop on Dial's journeySan Antonio Express-NewsIt's a national federation in name only, Dial said, since the International Olympic Committee is the only world organization that recognizes Kosovo as a separate national entity. Kosovo, with about 2 million people, sits on the southern end of Serbia.
- Citing Russia and IS threat, Kosovo urges faster EU expansion - Yahoo News 03/03/2015Yahoo NewsCiting Russia and IS threat, Kosovo urges faster EU expansionYahoo NewsBERLIN (Reuters) - Kosovo's Foreign Minister Hashim Thaci urged the European Union and NATO to speed up integration of Balkan states or risk the spreading influence of both Russia and Islamist extremists. Thaci, the first prime minister of independent ...Kosovo wants to cur […]
- Korea trade delegation shows interest in Kosovo - Cherry Creek News 05/03/2015Cherry Creek NewsKorea trade delegation shows interest in KosovoCherry Creek NewsKosovo continues to emerge from the shadows of war as one of the hot destinations for global business opportunities. A small Korean Trade delegation from the Overseas Korean Traders Association (OKTA) conducted a one-week tour of Kosovo in the first ...
- ISIS recruitment in Kosovo - Middle East Monitor 02/03/2015Middle East MonitorISIS recruitment in KosovoMiddle East MonitorKosovo is the youngest republic in Europe, proclaiming itself to be independent of Serbia in 2008. Today it seems to have become fertile recruiting ground for ISIS. During 2014, dozens of people were arrested for suspected terrorist activity and more ...Kosovo Cracks Down on Albanian ISIS Agents […]
- "Kosovo army" would be "unacceptable and harmful" - MPs - B92 04/03/2015B92"Kosovo army" would be "unacceptable and harmful" - MPsB92"Pristina has been trying to create any kind of a legal framework for the formation of the so-called armed forces of Kosovo, which is unacceptable for several reasons. Such a formation would be a destabilizing factor and the deepening of inter-ethnic ...
- France's recognition of Kosovo was "historic mistake" - MEP - B92 02/03/2015B92France's recognition of Kosovo was "historic mistake" - MEPB92"Unfortunately, everything seems to be a continuation of what was taking place in 1999, at the time of the illegal NATO war against Serbia, whose aim was to support the separatism of the Albanians in Kosovo, who have become a majority in this territory ...Kosovo authorities […]
- The disaster of Kosovo should be a warning to all humanitarian interventionists - The Week Magazine 10/02/2015The Week MagazineThe disaster of Kosovo should be a warning to all humanitarian interventionistsThe Week MagazineIt's been almost 16 years since a NATO coalition banded together to defeat Serbia's Slobodan Milošević in Kosovo. Ever since, it has been exhibit A in the case for “humanitarian intervention.” A swift short war, a thug removed from power […]
- Kosovo Albanians flee misery for EU promised land - Yahoo News 12/02/2015Yahoo NewsKosovo Albanians flee misery for EU promised landYahoo NewsA network of Kosovo Albanian smugglers in Palic charges the migrants a hefty price for their desperate journey to the EU promised land -- primarily Germany. Kosovo declared independence from Serbia in 2008, and the predominately ethnic Albanian ...German police sent to Serbia-Hungary border […]
- Another US 'Success Story': The Creation and Abandonment of Kosovo - Antiwar.com 28/02/2015Another US 'Success Story': The Creation and Abandonment of KosovoAntiwar.comOnce this dependence was established, as it was in Kosovo, Bulgaria, Poland (which did not need much coaxing) and the Baltic Republics, the U.S. could, as Rumsfeld famously let slip in 2003, play the new Europe off against the old Europe and, in this ...
- In Kosovo, false promises lead many to seek a better life in Germany - Deutsche Welle 05/03/2015
- Oxford Report Demands New Approach to Bosnia 05/03/2015The international community must take a tougher approach towards the dangerous political and economic backsliding in Bosnia, a new report based on a workshop in Oxford concludes.
- Kosovo Liberation Army Honoured in Pristina 05/03/2015A military parade in Pristina opened three days of events to honour the Kosovo Liberation Army which fought against Serbian forces during the 1998-99 conflict.
- Croatia Press Review – March 5, 2015 05/03/2015Branimir Glavas waits for the police to come for him. Read alarm for Dalmatia: north-eastern wind breaking electric poles and trees in Zadar and Makarska regions. Deputy mayor Sandra Svaljek shook Zagreb Mayor Milan Bandic’s position, while he still has big chances on the Zagreb’s elections.
- Serbia ‘Has No Evidence’ Against Wanted MP 05/03/2015The Serbian prosecution said it had no evidence against ruling party lawmaker Momir Stojanovic after Interpol issued a call for his arrest for alleged war crimes during the Kosovo conflict.
- Croatia Detains Wartime General Branimir Glavas 05/03/2015Police detained Glavas after the Croatian supreme court ruled that the former general must be transferred to remand prison until the final verdict in his war crimes trial.
- Romania Jails Media Mogul For Blackmail 05/03/2015Dan Diaconescu, a controversial media figure with political ambitions, was jailed on Wednesday for blackmail - and banned from running for public office.
- Serbia Press Council Backs BIRN Against ‘Informer’ 05/03/2015The Complaints Commission unanimously agreed to issue a public reprimand to the Informer newspaper following its reports on BIRN’s investigation into the Tamnava mine.
- EU Offers to Mediate in Macedonia's Wiretaps Row 05/03/2015Top European Union officials say Brussels is ready to mediate between feuding parties in Macedonia, voicing fears about the country's instability.
- Kosovo Honour for Serbian Campaigner Sparks Row 04/03/2015A Kosovo mayor’s plan to honour Serbian human rights campaigner Natasa Kandic for her work exposing war crimes has run into opposition from representatives of war victims.
- Croatia Promises Referendum on Adriatic Oil Drilling 04/03/2015In response to a growing chorus of environmental protests, Prime Minister Zoran Milanovic on Tuesday pledged to the put the issue of drilling for oil and gas in the Adriatic to a referendum.
- UK Firm's Aid Fails to Boost Albania's Customs 04/03/2015The Albanian government has admitted in a letter to the IMF that its contract with a British adviser, Crown Agents, has not yet resulted in the expected rise in customs revenues.
- Portuguese Join NATO Aerial Mission in Romania 04/03/2015Romania’s defence council has approved the stationing of Portuguese troops and planes in the country ahead of a NATO mission.
- US Pushes Montenegro to Punish Fighting Abroad 04/03/2015The US embassy has expressed disappointment after Montenegro's parliament failed to back plans to jail Montenegrins who go off to fight in foreign wars.
- Bosnia Police Arrest Suspect For Attorney's Murder 04/03/2015Police have detained a man they believe was responsible for the murder of Bihac attorney Jasmina Koricic - whose killing in the northwestern town shocked the public.
- Romanian Property Restitution Chiefs Throw in Towel 04/03/2015The heads of Romania’s property restitution department have resigned, saying they cannot cope with the delays, logjams and financial headaches tied to the business of compensating owners of assets seized by the Communists.
- Oxford Report Demands New Approach to Bosnia 05/03/2015
Internet ExplorerFor Internet Explorer 8+ please activate the compatibility modus of your browser!
Search NEWS > KOSOVO