LONDON / PRISTINA — Read this: Andrea Capussela, until March 2011 Head of the economics unit of the EU Inter-national Civilian Office (ICO) in Kosovo, with an opinion piece recently published at the guardian harshly comments upon the success of EU in Kosovo : “The EU’s largest civilian mission, EULEX-Kosovo, was meant to prove the possibility of an effective common foreign policy. … Still, EULEX – which costs about €100m a year and fields almost one policeman, judge or prosecutor for every 1,000 residents of this small territory – could strengthen the rule of law in Kosovo and the stability of the Balkans, … as a peaceful, rule-based force. In three years it has achieved little. … The difficult context partly explains this failure, but the main causes are internal …” read more at the guardian.co.uk / KS
- Sheikha Fatima to sponsor UAE-funded children's hospital in Kosovo - The National 27/04/2015Sheikha Fatima to sponsor UAE-funded children's hospital in KosovoThe NationalThe event was attended by Dr Maitha Al Shamsi, Minister of State and adviser to Sheikha Fatima; Hafsa Al Ulama, UAE ambassador to Montenegro and non-resident ambassador to Kosovo; Dr Maha Barakat, director general of the Health Authority – Abu ...Fatima honoured by Kosovo pres […]
- Flow of asylum seekers from Kosovo drops sharply in Germany - Deutsche Welle 25/04/2015Deutsche WelleFlow of asylum seekers from Kosovo drops sharply in GermanyDeutsche WelleNumber of people from Kosovo asking for asylum in Germany had suddenly jumped in the beginning of the year, reaching some 11.700 applications in March, and putting the small Balkan country at first place when it comes to number of asylum applicants, ...
- In Kosovo, US-Funded Study Gets Response to ISIS Wrong - Middle East Forum 27/04/2015In Kosovo, US-Funded Study Gets Response to ISIS WrongMiddle East ForumKosovo has 125 foreign fighters . . . for every 1 million citizens, making it the highest ranking country among 22 listed [Western] countries, followed by Bosnia with 85, Belgium with 42, and Albania with 30 cases of foreign fighters . . . for every 1 ...
- Macedonia: Police conduct raid near Kosovo border - InSerbia News 27/04/2015InSerbia NewsMacedonia: Police conduct raid near Kosovo borderInSerbia NewsOn April 7, a group of around 40 people wearing uniforms of the disbanded ethnic Albanian Kosovo Liberation Army attacked a police watchtower in Gosince, on Macedonia's northern border with Kosovo, some 30 km north of the capital Skopje, Kotevski said.eMagazin: Commander NATO wit […]
- Macedonia says Kosovo gunmen take police hostage overnight, call for ... - Reuters 21/04/2015ReutersMacedonia says Kosovo gunmen take police hostage overnight, call for ...ReutersHe described the gunmen as "UCK", an abbreviation that may apply either to ethnic Albanian guerrillas who fought Serbian security forces in Kosovo in 1998-99, or to those who took up arms in Macedonia during fighting in 2001. But police in Kosovo, ...Macedonian po […]
- Islamic State exploits poverty and ignorance in Kosovo - EurActiv 22/04/2015EurActivIslamic State exploits poverty and ignorance in KosovoEurActivAs the Islamic State's attempt to carve out a new caliphate in Syria and Iraq continues, the terrorist organisation has found a fertile source for recruits in poverty-stricken Kosovo. An estimated 200 Kosovo Albanians have joined jihadi groups in Syria ...
- Serbia quashes talk of landmark visit by Kosovo minister - Reuters 20/04/2015ReutersSerbia quashes talk of landmark visit by Kosovo ministerReutersBELGRADE (Reuters) - Serbia has informed its former province of Kosovo that Foreign Minister Hashim Thaci will be arrested if he tries to attend a conference in Belgrade this week in what would have been a landmark visit by the former guerrilla commander.Serbia says it will arrest Kosovo m […]
- US Official: Kosovo Should Try Its Own Rebels - ABC News 21/04/2015Washington TimesUS Official: Kosovo Should Try Its Own RebelsABC NewsA senior U.S. official says Kosovo must set up a court to try former ethnic Albanian guerrillas for suspected organ-trafficking and the disappearance of hundreds of Serb captives if it wants to avoid Russia and Serbia dealing with the issue at the ...West tells Kosovo to create court to hea […]
- Xherdan Shaqiri: Success is sweet for Kosovo-born Switzerland star - CNN 02/04/2015CNNXherdan Shaqiri: Success is sweet for Kosovo-born Switzerland starCNNHe was born to Kosovar Albanian parents in 1991 in Giljan, a city that is now part of Kosovo but was then contained within the Yugoslav Republic. Eight years later, Serb forces controlled by Slobodan Milosevic launched a campaign of ethnic cleansing ...and more »
- A "Great Fear" in Kosovo - Huffington Post 14/04/2015A "Great Fear" in KosovoHuffington PostAuthorities in Kosovo (approximately 80 percent Muslim) and Bosnia-Herzegovina (about 45 percent Muslim) have criminalized participation in jihadist terror in Syria and Iraq and arrested alleged participants in campaigns for the "Islamic State.".
- Sheikha Fatima to sponsor UAE-funded children's hospital in Kosovo - The National 27/04/2015
- Macedonia Slammed for Failing to Liberalize Energy 27/04/2015Macedonia has breached its EU commitments to liberalize its energy market, the Energy Community has said, giving it only two months to rectify this failure.
- Film Honours Sportsmen's Wartime Bravery 27/04/2015A documentary about the courage of Yugoslav sportsmen who defied nationalist hysteria in the 1990s has premiered in Belgrade, focusing on their little known heroic acts off the pitch.
- Macedonia Albanian Leader Urges Peaceful End to Crisis 27/04/2015The head of the main ethnic Albanian party in Macedonia has pledged his party's continued commitment to peace and dialogue during a visit to Kosovo.
- EULEX Uncovers Suspected Mass Grave in Kosovo 27/04/2015The EU rule-of-law mission, EULEX, on Monday said it had found human remains in a village cemetery in the Skenderaj/Srbica area of Kosovo after a villager provided information.
- Montenegro to Share Embassies, Diplomat Predicts 27/04/2015Montenegro has a long-term interest in setting up joint representatives offices with other countries in the region, a diplomat in Kosovo has said.
- Romania Govt Casts Predatory Eye on Waiters' Tips 27/04/2015Government plan to raise revenues by taxing tips meets scornful response from some waiters - who have vowed to hold on to their extra earnings.
- Bosnia Police Arrest Buzim War Crimes Suspect 27/04/2015Bosnian border police arrested Husein Isakovic on suspicion of having carried out war crimes against civilians and prisoners-of-war in the Buzim area.
- Croatia Pays Tribute to Jasenovac Camp Victims 27/04/2015Croatia on Sunday marked the 70th anniversary of the last days of the Nazi-style concentration camp at Jasenovac, where at least 83,000 people were killed.
- Belgraders Protest against Waterfront Deal 27/04/2015Protesters angered by the announced construction of the gigantic Belgrade Waterfront project staged a rally in the Serbian capital on Sunday against the signing ceremony.
- Bosnian Party Congresses Set Stage for New Conflicts 27/04/2015Three key parties held their congresses over the weekend, re-elected their existing leaders and reiterated their hard-line agendas - setting the stage for further political tensions.
- Albania Charges Steelmaker Over Toxic Waste 27/04/2015Police in the city of Elbasan have filed charges against the Turkish company Kurum, accusing it of illegally dumping toxic waste from its metallurgic plant.
- Macedonia Mall Referendum Fails to Meet Target 27/04/2015A campaign in Macedonia to save a 1970s mall from a government planned Baroque makeover appears to have failed owing to a low turnout in Sunday's local referendum.
- Montenegro's Main Union to Stage Mayday Protest 27/04/2015Union leaders in Montenegro are calling on people to show discontent with government policies at Mayday protests in the capital, Podgorica, next week.
- Macedonians to Vote on Fate of Iconic Mall 26/04/2015Residents of the Skopje municipality of Centar on Sunday will vote in the first local referendum in the country over a much-loved mall that the government plans to transform.
- Serbia's Democrats Test Strength at Rally 25/04/2015The once mighty but now weakened Democratic Party held an anti-government protest in the Serbian capital, pushing its demand for early elections.
- Macedonia Slammed for Failing to Liberalize Energy 27/04/2015
Internet ExplorerFor Internet Explorer 8+ please activate the compatibility modus of your browser!
Search NEWS > KOSOVO